Gluten-Free Bread (Test #5)
Tested out 90 minute proof before removing from warm oven. Added caraway seeds. Baked on 2020-05-12.
300 g oat milk
100 g egg white
75 g maple syrup
75 g grapeseed oil
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
450 g gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (Bob's Red Mill)
2 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp each himalayan pink salt, caraway seeds
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- kitchen scale
- measuring spoons
- pullman loaf pan
- Active: 25m
- Inactive: 2h 45m
- Preheat oven to 170°F and turn the light on for proofing. Turn off once preheated.
- With the bowl on the scale, measure in all the ingredients in the order listed.
- Begin mixing on low speed to bring everything together, about 1 min. Increase to medium and beat for 1 min, repeat at high for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer into oiled and floured pullman loaf pan. Spread to smooth out the top as much as possible.
- Allow to rise in warmed oven (make sure heat is off) for 90 mins then remove to continue rising for another 30 minutes on the counter while oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Once preheated, bake loaf for 45 minutes or until internal temperature is between 200°F and 210°F.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes, remove from pan to cool completely before cutting.
Loaf did not rise as much as much as expected despite the longer proofing time.
Tasted good with the caraway. Will see if the flavour permeates more as the days go on. Will probably add more next time a caraway loaf is made. Texture is identical to the previous loaf.
Return to using xanthan gum for a fluffier loaf. Will use whole egg since I have run out of "egg whites only."