These cookies were recommended to me by a coworker. They are sweet, crunchy, and chewy with just a touch of chocolate.
I halved this recipe from the King Arthur Flour archives. There are a few deviations dependant on ingredient availability in my kitchen and personal preferences.
The essential crisp rice cereal is not pictured but we can all imagine that iconic blue box standing in the back right row there.
Ranger Cookies With Chocolate Chips
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 oz raw cane sugar
- 3 1/2 oz homemade brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 oz rolled oats
- 1 1/2 oz mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 oz unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 1/4 oz unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Cream together butter and sugars. Scrape down bowl and paddle.
- Add vanilla and eggs, beat until smooth and light in colour.
- Combine oats, chocolate chips, and coconut. Stir into butter mixture.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir into butter and oats mixture.
- Add rice cereal. Stir just until it comes together.
- With a #40 portion scoop dish out 12 portions on each sheet pan.
- Wet your fingers and flatten each cookie slightly.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway. Cookies are done when they are 75% golden brown across the top.
- Allow to cool on sheet pans before removing onto a rack to cool completely.
Yield: I forgot to count before they were all eaten...